“This is a step-by-step guide on how to get to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove in Kyoto Using the Train/Metro.”
Who knew thousands of bamboos covering a pathway could be so atmospheric if not poetic? But this is exactly what Arashiyama Bamboo Grove in Kyoto actually offers visitors.
While in Kyoto, don’t miss out the opportunity of visiting the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove! Even painters come here to capture its beauty.
Something to Consider:
The best times of the day to see it would be during early morning and late afternoon when the light is soft and enhances the colors of the surrounding bamboo trees.
Visiting Arashiyama Bamboo Grove consists of mainly walking the path surrounded by bamboo. It is actually a shorter walk than expected. But given the right lighting, the bamboo trees make a perfect backdrop for amazing photos.
Here is a guide on how to get to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove using the train and JR Pass:
If you have a JR Pass (Japan Railways) or even if you don’t, one of the best ways to reach Arashiyama is by taking the metro.
1. Make your way to Kyoto Station.
2. Look for the JR Sagano Line. It is also called the JR Sanin Line.
3. Purchase your ticket if you don’t have a JR Pass, and then board the train the goes in the direction of Saga-Arashiyama Station.
The ride takes about 15 minutes as Arashiyama Bamboo Grove is actually on the outskirts of Kyoto.
The ride would cost about 240 yen, but if you can use your JR Pass, so you don’t have to pay extra.
4. From Saga-Arashiyama Station, you need to walk about 10 minutes to reach the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.
There are signs around the station to guide you.
Aside from the JR Lines, there are other private lines that you can use to reach Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.
Travel Checklist: Do you have everything you need?
Taking the Keifuku Railways to get to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove:
Make your way to Omiya Station. This station is located in central Kyoto, at the intersection of Shijo Street and Omiya Street.
1. Board the train on the Keifuku Arashiyama Line.
2. Get off Keifuku Arashiyama Station, which is at the heart of Arashiyama.
3. Take note you need to make one train transfer to reach Keifuku Arashiyama Station.
Taking the Hankyu Railways to get to Arashiyama Bamboo Grove:
1. Make your way to Kawaramachi or Karasuma Station. It is on Shijo Street, central Kyoto.
Find the Hankyu Main Line
2. Board the train that goes to Katsura Station. You can also take Hankyu Main Line train from Kyoto Station to Katsura Station.
3. Get off Katsura Station and transfer to the Hankyu Arashiyama Line.
4. Get off Hankyu Arashiyama Station. This station is located on the opposite side of the river.
This train route takes about 20 minutes.
5. From Hankyu Arashiyama Station, you will need to walk around 10 minutes to reach Arashiyama Bamboo Grove.
Essential Tips and Reminders to Getting to Arashiyama Bambook Grove:
Buses and taxis are also available in Kyoto, but they are the less efficient ways of reaching Arashiyama. The Bamboo Grove is extremely popular, so it attracts a lot of visitors. Getting on the road, instead of the train might result in being stuck in a traffic jam.
One of the best times to visit Arashiyama is early morning when the crowd is smaller. Most people prefer to come midday or in the afternoon.
If you come early in the morning to see Arashiyama Bambook Grove, then you can pretty much explore everything in the area before midday. We did exactly this, and then we used the rest of the day to see other sites like the Golden Pavilion or Kinkakuji.