The Petronas Towers situated in the Kuala Lumpur City Center
Kuala Lumpur, or fondly called KL by locals, is the bustling culturally diverse capital of Malaysia. Make no mistake about it, KL is a highly sophisticated and metropolitan city compared to its Southeast Asian counterparts. The city’s downtown area is packed with skyscrapers, superb hotels and large beautifully decorated shopping malls. Kuala Lumpur is home to many ethnic groups such as the Southern Indians, Chinese and Malay. It is also a favored vacation destination not only for Southeast Asian tourists but also for people from Europe and the Middle East.
A good portion of KL’s population prefers to drive than to take public transportation. This can be attributed to several factors such as relatively lenient bank and government loan regulations, the strong presence of affordable local car manufacturers, and cheap gas. The city’s roads can get really crowded especially during rush hours. Thus, it seemed like a wise decision to build the international and domestic airports an hour away from the city center. Unfortunately for commuters, going to and from these airports are not as straightforward.
The main international airport in Kuala Lumpur is called KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport). With its simple and sleek layout, modern facilities and excellent management, it is one of the best airports in the Southeast Asian region.
Below are some information and steps on how to get from the airport to Kuala Lumpur:
By Taxi from KLIA to Kuala Lumpur
- Purchase a taxi coupon at KLIA’s Arrival Hall, which is situated just before the public arrival area and after the Customs desk.
- Wait at the allocated taxi line and once your turn is up, give the coupon to the driver.
By Taxi to KLIA from Kuala Lumpur
- Arrange for a taxi to drive you all the way to the KLIA airport. Make sure to negotiate the price before you get in. Some drivers prefer to use the meter while others would want a set price. If you can’t be bothered with negotiating, there is also an airport limo service you can call to pick you up at your chosen time and place. This service’s rates depend on the location of the pickup and the type of car you choose to use. Note: The Airport Limo Service does not mean you will be driving in an expensive limousine car.
- The journey to Kuala Lumpur International Airport by taxi takes around 1 hour. If you will take the taxi during rush hour, it will most likely take about 2 hours.
By Fast Train from KLIA to Kuala Lumpur
- Once you arrive, make your way out of the airport arrival concourse.
- Follow the signs that say KLIA Expres. You will need to go down the escalator or in the elevator as the train platform is located at the underground level.
- Buy a single journey ticket at the KLIA Ekspres counter, and then wait for the train to arrive.
By Fast Train to KLIA from Kuala Lumpur
- Take a taxi to KL Sentral, the main public transportation center in the city. Every driver in the city knows where KL Sentral is.
- Hop on one of the two Express Rail Link (ERL) services in KL Sentral. The first ERL service is KL Ekspres, which is the non-stop, direct train to KLIA. The second ERL service is the KLIA Transit, which stops at three stations before heading to KLIA.
- The journey from KL Sentral to KLIA and vice versa via KL Ekspres takes 28 minutes. Trains depart every 15 minutes
- The journey from KL Sentral to KLIA and vice versa via KL Transit takes about 36 minutes. Trains depart every 20 minutes.