However, flights to Koh Samui tend to be more expensive than flying to the mainland city of Surat Thani, so some travelers opt to touch down in Surat Thani, spend a night at a guesthouse there, and then find their way to the island via public transportation.
Air Asia and Thai Airways fly frequently to Surat Thani from cities like Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.
1. Upon landing, you can take a tuk tuk (local transport) out of the airport. The travel to Koh Pha Ngan can take several hours, so if you arrive at Surat Thani at night, you have the option to just stay the night at one of the hotels in towns.
2. From the town center, you will need to take a bus that goes to either Surat Thani Jetty or to Donsak Jetty. The buses to Donsak leave from the Talat Kaset bus stations 1 and 2.
3. Information about the jetties:
- Surat Thani Jetty – is where the Songserm Ferry service to Koh Pha Ngan is based. Journey time for this ferry service is 3 ½ hours.
- Donsak – is about 50 minutes away from Surat Thani town proper. This is where the Lomprayah high-speed catamaran is docked. If you take this catamaran to Koh Pha Ngan, it will only take 1 ½ hours to reach the island. There are also other slow ferry services that leave from Donsak, including the car ferry service called Raja
4. There is also a night ferry that leaves from Surat Thani to Thong Sala at 11 pm. This is a slow ferry but your ticket includes the use of a mattress to sleep while onboard. The night ferry arrives at the Thong Sala pier, Ko Pha Ngan at around 6:00 am.