I heard and read many things about Dubai prior to my visit.
And I have always known that this prominent financial center in the Middle East employs thousands of people from all over the world. I do know of friends and acquaintances that have chosen to live and work in Dubai for many years.
But it was only during my visit to this UAE city that I truly understood how much of a major tourist destination it actually is.
As a travel destination, Dubai offers so many activities and attractions to a wide range of travelers. However, if you only have a day or two in this city and would like to do something memorable, I have some suggestions in mind. Climbing the Burj Khalifa is one of them, simply because it is the tallest man-made structure in the world. Its very existence is a great achievement to mankind!
Another “must-do” activity that I highly recommend is ‘Dubai Marina Cruising’!
Cruising through Dubai’s Marina is truly a great experience, one that has the potential to create a lasting travel memory. The cruise allows you to admire Dubai from afar, from the Gulf waters to be exact; where the air will be fresh and the skyscraper views- nothing short of spectacular.
Check out our Dubai Marina Cruising Experience:
So the next question is:
How to do a Dubai Marina Cruise Tour?
There are two ways to go about this: you can either take the Dubai Ferry or go for a private tour.
Cruising with the Dubai Ferry
This option is the cheaper of the two. Don’t be fooled by the word “ferry”; Dubai’s version of one is not your usual rickety old public boat.
Expect the ferry to be sleek, modern, clean and comfortable. It is large enough to take in around 100 passengers and it has an open deck where people can enjoy the breathtaking views of Dubai’s skyscrapers.
Like regular ferries, the Dubai Ferry stops at terminals. There were originally five terminals, which included Dubai Marina, Al Ghubaiba, Dubai Canal Station, Al Jadaf and Sheikh Zayed Road Station. The newest addition to this group is the Dubai Canal Station, which was completed in 2016. Unlike other ordinary ferries, the Dubai Ferry offers Circular Tourist trips that are perfect for visitors who like staying on a boat a little longer to enjoy the views. The two main tourist circular trips are:
- Al Ghubaiba Station going through the Dubai Creek Area (usually scheduled at 3 pm).
- Dubai Marina to Burj Al Arab (usually scheduled at 3 pm)
- Al Ghubaiba to Jumeirah Beach (usually scheduled at 5 pm)
- Dubai Marina to Atlantis (usually scheduled at 5 pm)
What Cruise Route Did We Take?
Aside from the Circular Tourist routes, there are also one-way trips that you may find quite sufficient. In our case, we took the “sunset cruise” at 6:30 pm from Dubai Marina to Al Ghubaiba Station.
This route is being offered three times a day at 11:00 am, 1:00 pm and 6:30 pm.
The Dubai Marina to Al Ghubaiba Station or vice versa route costs 50 Dirhams. The journey lasts for about 1 hour.
The Dubai Marina Cruising Experience
Our Dubai Marina Cruising experience started at, of course, the gorgeous Dubai Marina – a place that was intentionally built to impress even the most seasoned tourist.
This is one of the largest man-made marinas in the world. It is both a stunning residential and commercial area that boasts some of the most well-designed skyscrapers in the world.
After strolling around the Marina, we hopped on the ferry and headed out to Al Ghubaiba. Along the way, we got fantastic views of the buildings in the Marina and downtown Dubai. The ferry kept reasonably close to the coast, enough to see the famous Burj Al Arab and the Burj Khalifa shining in the darkness of the night.
The one downside of taking the Dubai Ferry is that during the trip, you won’t get an audio commentary like private tours but the views that you will get are pretty much the same as taking a private tour.
Booking the Ticket for the Dubai Ferry Cruise
From our experience, there is no real need to book the ferry ticket a day in advance. My advice is to show up at the Marina or Al Ghubaiba Station at least an hour in advance. The ticket can be purchased at an office next to where the ferry departs. You can pay cash or use debit/credit card.
Taking a Private Cruise
Aside from the Dubai Ferry, there are companies that offer private cruise tours around the Dubai Creek. One of them is Tour Dubai, which makes use of dhows (traditional boat) for their boat tours.These dhows are new and beautifully furnished, even though their design is inspired by the traditional ones.
The Tour Dubai itinerary typically comes with a pre-recorded English commentary. This gives visitors the chance to learn more about the history of the structures along the Creek.
Aside from the regular cruises, Tour Dubai also offers a two-hour dinner buffet cruise in the evening. So if you want to splurge on at least one activity in Dubai, this one comes highly recommended!
I absolutely enjoyed my Dubai Marina Cruise because it gave me an interesting perspective of the city. From the sea, an unknowing visitor would never think that this bright and shiny place is actually surrounded by mostly desert.
The cruise is truly memorable because it showcases one of the Dubai’s greatest talents, and that is building some of the finest structures that the world has ever seen.
Top Rated Hotels in Dubai Based on Verified Guest Reviews
|Star/Budget Range||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 1||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 2|
|Agoda.com (Dubai)||Booking.com (Dubai)|
|5 stars/Luxury||Burj Al Arab Jumeirah – 9.3/10||Residence & Spa, Dubai at One&Only Royal Mirage – 9.3/10|
|4stars/Comfort||Al Khoory Atrium – 8.9/10||Vida Downtown Dubai – 8.8/10|
|3 stars/Mid Range||Rove Downtown Dubai – 9.0/10||Rove City Center – 9.3/10|
|2 star/ Budget||Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport – 7.9/10||Holiday Inn Express Dubai Airport – 7.9/10|
|1 star/ Strict Budget||Sima Hotel – 7.0/10||Florida Hotel – 6.9/10|
|Compare all room prices in Dubai using www.agoda.com||Compare all room prices in Dubai using booking.com|
Read More About Dubai
- 10 Essential Things All Tourists Need to Know When Using the Dubai Metro
- 10 Things You Should Know When Traveling in Dubai
- 3 Best Ways on How to Get Panoramic Views of Burj Al Arab Dubai
- 35 Things to do in Dubai for an Amazing Holiday
- 4 Ways on How to Enter Dubai’s 7-Star Burj Al Arab Hotel Without Booking a Room
- Frequently Asked Questions about Visiting Dubai
- Historical Neighborhoods in Dubai You Never Knew Existed
- How to Get From Dubai International Airport to Downtown Dubai
- How to Get from Dubai to Abu Dhabi
- How to Get to Al Ahmadiya Heritage House in Dubai Using the Dubai Metro Train
- How to Get to Al Fahidi Historic District By Dubai Metro Train or Boat
- How to Get to Bur Dubai Old Souk/Textile Souk By Dubai Metro Train or Boat
- How to Get to Dubai Marina using the Train
- How to Get to Dubai Museum By Dubai Metro Train or Public Boat
- How to Get to Dubai’s Remarkable Gold Souk (Market) Using The Dubai Metro
- How to Get to Madinat Jumeirah Using Public Transportation- Top Attraction in Dubai
- How to Get to the Burj Khalifa in Dubai
- How to Get to the Dubai Mall using Public Transport
- How to Go Up the Burj Khalifa’s Observation Deck
- Sample One and Multiple - Day Itineraries for Visiting Dubai (All You Need to Know)
- The Main Neighborhoods of Dubai that Every Tourist Know About
- The Top Souks/Markets in Dubai That Seasoned Travelers Must Visit
- Top Places to See in Dubai For Free
- Where Did We Stay in Dubai?: Ibis One Central Hotel Review
- Why Crossing the Creek from Deira to Bur Dubai Will Make Your Dubai Visit More Meaningful