1. Since there have been a considerable number of accidents on the roads, rental shops are getting stricter with renting motorcycles. First and foremost, they will ask for your driver’s license, so make sure you bring that. There are shops that look for international driver’s licenses. And sometimes, they will ask you to leave your passport as insurance that you will come back. Although not all shops require this, it is up to you if you want to take the risk of leaving your passport.
2. Phuket’s police force is trying to enforce the helmet law. So even if you are in paradise and ready for the biggest nights of your life don’t be stupid and just wear your helmet. You should also wear a reasonable amount of clothing to protect yourself from the sun and potential scratches and bruises.
3. Having a driver’s license does not make you a motorcycle expert. Riding a moto is a skill that has to be learned. If you are clumsy, and lack balance and coordination, or have never ridden a motorcycle in your entire life, then the best thing to do is stick with driving a car.
4. Being in Phuket is not an excuse to drink and drive. There is a reason why it is criminalized in other countries. Don’t ruin your vacation and others by being irresponsible. It is also important to realize that even if you don’t drink and drive, there will always be some people who will attempt to do just that. So if you decide to drive around Phuket at night, be vigilant for drunk drivers.
Where did we stay while visiting Phuket?
We stayed at a lovely boutique hotel about 5 minutes from Karon Beach. The name of the property is Simplitel Hotel. We aren’t directly affiliated with this property. Therefore, we will share our honest opinion of the place. Overall, it was a really nice, well managed hotel. It’s about a five minute walk to beautiful Karon Beach. Really easy to find, with some nice restaurants right in the vicinity. Breakfast was great and our room was super clean. We are not the only people who have liked the place. At the time of writing it had a score of 8.5/10 based on 450+ verified guest reviews. If you want a nice mid-range place to stay this is a good one. If you want something more luxurious, look elsewhere.
Want to find the best rooms on Phuket Island?
We personally recommend staying on Karon Beach because of its proximity to Patong, not to mention its beautiful coastal breezes and honey-hued sand. There are three websites that we have used during our travels to Phuket over the years: www.agoda.com, www.hotelscombined.com and www.booking.com.
Agoda is probably your best bet due to their massive selection of rooms for all budgets, with nearly 2500 different choices at the time of writing on Phuket Island alone! If you’re living outside of Southeast Asia, then you might prefer www.booking.com due to their excellent customer service and favourable cancellation policies. If your travelling on a budget then try out Hotelscombined.com because of their excellent price comparison searches that can be used before booking. Our “backpacking readers” who visit Southeast Asia love their site.
To save you time, here are the:
Top Rated Properties on Phuket
Based on Verified Guest Reviews
Important: Mobile Users must swipe from left to right to see entire table.
- Properties rated based on ‘overall’ review scores from each respective website’s verified guests.
- Minimum of 50 verified guest reviews required to be considered eligible for comparison.
- All star ratings and verified guest review scores are tallied at the time of writing, and therefore, are subject to change.