JR Option B: JR Special Rapid Train. If you are not the bullet train type, choose this train network. Here are the steps on how to get from Kyoto to Kobe:
1. Go to JR Kyoto Station.
2. Look for the JR Tokaido Line. (Remember what I said about Tokaido? Scroll up)
3. Buy your ticket. It costs about 1080 yen one way. If you have the Japan Rail Pass, you don’t have to pay.
4. Enjoy the ride! It takes about 50 minutes.
5. Arrive at Sannomiya Station. This is the busiest station in Kobe and is conveniently located in the downtown area. From here, I encourage you to walk to your hotel or guesthouse.
NO JR PASS? Consider going to Kobe from Kyoto via the Hankyu Railway. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Hankyu Karasuma Station or Hankyu Kawaramachi Station – in central Kyoto.
- Purchase your ticket. It costs about 620 yen one way. As you can see this is the cheapest option!
- Get off at Juso Station
- From Juso Station, transfer to the train on the Hankyu Kobe Main Line. Take the one that goes to Kobe Sannomiya.
- Get off at Kobe Sannomiya Station. This train ride takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Note: Fare prices are just estimates, and may change over time (totally out of our control).
So, there you have it, a step-by-step guide on how to get from Kyoto to Kobe. If you have any questions, please comment below.
Where did we stay in Kobe?
Our main priorities when we booked our room in Kobe were to find a nice, clean mid-range hotel near public transport lines. Eventually, we decided to stay at Hotel Sunroute Sopra Kobe. We don’t have a direct affiliation with this property, therefore our opinion is an unbiased one. It turned out being exactly what we were looking for. Our room was very clean and well maintained. Their staff were efficient and friendly. It’s located only 400 meters from the nearest train station and 1 km from Chinatown. We even walked to the waterfront area from this property. At the time of writing it had a respectable score of 7.6/10 based on 152 verified guest reviews.
Want to Find the Cheapest Room in Kobe?
For all of our room bookings in Japan, including Kobe, we used three different accommodation providers: Agoda.com, Booking.com and Hotelscombined.com.
To save some time and money, below I have created links to their respective property links for Kobe:
Top Rated Properties in Kobe Based on Verified Guest Reviews
Important: Mobile Users must swipe from left to right to see entire table.
- Properties rated based on ‘overall’ review scores from each respective website’s verified guests.
- Minimum of 50 verified guest reviews required to be considered eligible for comparison.
- All star ratings and verified guest review scores are tallied at the time of writing, and therefore, are subject to change.
COMPARE Room Prices in Kobe – Hotelscombined.com
You can also use the Search Box for Hotelscombined.com below: